There is no doubt the yoghurt section of the supermarket is overwhelming. There are so many different types to choose from that finding one that is healthy and tastes good can seem so confusing!
Here are some tips to help you when it comes to choosing a healthy yoghurt:
- Greek yoghurt varieties: These tend to be the highest in protein due to the straining process of the yoghurt, therefore helping to keep you fuller for longer and a great source of protein after a workout.
- Look for no added sugars: when looking for a product the general aim is to find something less than 10g/100g of sugar. You can also aim for unflavoured/plain yoghurt and try adding your own sweetener (honey, maple syrup etc.) Also remember that some sugar will be present in yoghurt/milk products due to the naturally occurring lactose
- Avoid fat-free varieties: this is typically higher in added sugar to maintain texture and taste.
- Probiotics: look for products that include labelling such as, “live cultures, acidophilus, lactobacillus, bifidobacterium”. These are types of good bacteria that keep our digestive system happy!
- Compare by 100g: using this allows us to easily compare products of different sizes to find the highest protein or lowest sugar options!
Here are some of our go-to yoghurt products!