As we approach the Christmas and New Year period, our fitness and nutrition often take a back seat. This period is often characterised by over eating, drinking too much, and general over indulgence. The Christmas and New Year period is a great time to spend with your friends and family, however this does not have to come at the expense of our health, fitness goals or sanity! Here are a few tips that will enable you to enjoy a stress free festive season:
- Make sure you have breakfast. Even though there may be a feast waiting at lunch, eating breakfast will help to prevent overeating later in the day. Ensure there is some protein with your breakfast; poached eggs would be a great choice!
- Hydrate. Christmas time can often be very hot, leading to dehydration. Combine this with any intake of alcohol and it can prove to be a recipe for disaster. To counteract this, make sure you keep up your water intake, aim for at least 2 litres throughout the day.
- Practice portion control. Rather than depriving yourself of your favourite Christmas foods, opt for a small serving sizes and try to avoid going back for seconds.
- Move more! Christmas is a great time to get active with your family and friends. Think backyard cricket, beach soccer, walk to the park… The opportunities are endless to get out and move more.
- Remember that above all else, Christmas is just one day. Whatever happens with your food intake, let it be, and get back to business the following day. Enjoy your time with your family and friends, enjoy your food and have a very merry Christmas!